How does therapy work for children?
Therapy for children looks different when compared to traditional talk therapy with teens or adults. Children learn through play and exploration. Dr. Panicha McGuire is a Registered Play Therapist certified by the United States Association for Play Therapy. Play therapy is an evidenced-based approach used to help children explore their emotions and work through their challenges in the language that they understand (play). Play therapy can be used with any age, including teens and adults! Regardless of age, gender, or concern, Dr. Panicha McGuire will take into consideration the developmental level and interests of the child to tailor her treatment. Learn more about play therapy.
Areas of Focus
- Behavioral Issues
- Neurodiversity including Autism and ADHD
- Adjustment/Transitions to a Recent Stressor
- Childhood Depression
- Building Independence
- Social Relationship Issues
- Emotion Dysregulation
Will children respond to telehealth?
Telehealth is not new; however, it has gained popularity in the recent years. Every child is unique and therapy outcomes will be dependent on the treatment goals, response, and reception of each child. Some children are able to attend the entire 50 minute session, while others can only sustain their attention for 30 minutes at a time. Dr. Panicha McGuire has experience in providing Telehealth play therapy for children ages 6 to 12. Telehealth has some limitations in certain cases. Dr. Panicha McGuire will be able to assess whether your child will benefit from Telehealth and work with you on tailoring treatment specific to your child.
Pros for Telehealth for children
- Allow anxious children to resolve their problems and explore their feelings openly
- Convenient and accessible
- Ability to use the child’s own resources in their environment (seeing their home, toys, and the spontaneous issues that come up can provide clues into the root of the behaviors)
- Ability to involve others in the home if needed
Contact Today For a Free Consultation!
(858) 522-9415 (text friendly!)